Or Tal y Cors, i.e. rising ground near a corse or marsh, which is a fair description of the site.
This farm dates from medieval times and has also been spelt Delacourse.
It does not figure in the Lordship or Corporation records, which exist from 1300 onwards, so it was separately owned.
By the mid-17th century it had become part of the Island House estate, passing down through successive generations until 1886 when it became Lot 41 in the sale of the estate.
A mill pond was created in the late 19th century on the slope opposite the house to provide water for machinery within the building. There is a huge plug in the middle of the pond and another at the bottom of the bank, and once the pond was full these could be lifted by some sort of gantry (the remains of which can still be seen), releasing the water. The plugs were then refitted while the pond filled up again from a spring at the top of the hill.
Just past Delacorse Farm's wonderful vegetable garden (created by Annie Hart) if you look back upstream, on the opposite
bank lies a farm beside which is the barely discernible ruin of the church of Llandeilo Abercowyn. Griffith Jones (The Great House) became its
rector in 1711 and remained so until his death 50 years later.
That church was a Pilgrim's Church for those en route to St David's Cathedral. In 1123, Pope Calixtus II granted a 'papal privilege' to the shrine, declaring that: 'Two pilgrimages to St David's is equal to one to Rome, and three pilgrimages to one to Jerusalem'.
Along the path there used to be a causeway crossing the Taf river which was used by lime carts from Coygan Quarry on a roadway that hugged the shoreline to reach here before the quay was built on the marsh. There is talk of stepping stones across the river too which have now long gone. Griffith Jones might well have crossed here from Laugharne to his church across the river.
copyright © 2021 Laugharne Lines
all rights reserved