Laugharne had no electricity until 1950 - 70 years after its invention - and the Boathouse was the first home to benefit. Harry Raymond of the Coygan Quarry was the first to try and 'electrify' Laugharne in 1928, but his plans came to nothing. The Williams brothers (Ebie and Billy) set up a 240 volt DC supply in this building driven by a single cylinder horizontal Ruston Hornsby engine. A second engine was added to satisfy demand but within a few years the operation was taken over by the National Grid. That was good news for Laugharne as whenever Billy Williams became frustrated with singing revellers or squabbling neighbours he threw the switch sending the whole town into darkness. The Engine House later became a gallery and was, until very recently the Silversmiths.
copyright © 2020 Laugharne Lines
all rights reserved