This house is one of a number on King St that were once lower thatch-roofed dwellings dating back to
medieval times - Redford and Abercorran are other examples. Instead of being demolished and replaced with larger town houses the roof
and frontage was removed, the height extended, and the roof put back on.
It was also a pub called The Greyhound until the 1850s which, with the Pelican and Ship & Castle across the road and the two still-functioning pubs (Brown's and the Mariners) to the right, made for a nice easy pub crawl. Out of 6 buildings the only one which wasn't a pub was The Manse, where the vicar of The Chapel lived.
This house was once owned by a G. James who in 1752, when they built the larger Browns Hotel next door, had a stone plaque added to the front of the Browns to show that he owned the pine end. There are a few of these curious plaques in Laugharne which you will see as you journey through this site.
The Greyhound was uninhabited in 1881 and 1891, but in the early 1900s the house was owned by Lieutenant Colonel S.H. Bolton
and his wife Mary, who lived in Elm House next door. His two sons lived here - John Ritso Nelson Bolton, known as Ritso
and Stewart Bladen Nelson Bolton - with their aunt, sister and two servants. They were two of the 66 men with Laugharne connections to perish in WW1.
John, a former head boy at Bedford School died at the Battle of Loos - his fourth battle in a year - in September 1915 aged 22 years old. Less than a year later at the naval Battle of Jutland, the HMS Indefatigable (above) was attacked with such ferocity that only 2 of the 1019 crew survived. Stewart, a midshipman in the Royal Navy since the age of 12, was one of those killed. He was 18 years old.
This is where the Ebsworths of Ebsworth buses (Bus Garage) lived in 1939.
copyright © 2021 Laugharne Lines
all rights reserved