Sir John's Hill
Named after Sir John Perrot (1528-1592), who built a house here to use as a lookout for pirates. He lived at Laugharne Castle and also re-styled Carew Castle, 22 miles to the west. The land below is a salt marsh which was reclaimed from the sea by the Dutch in the 1400s, and is famous for its lamb. In 1830 Laugharne had three distinct populations: the Welsh occupied the north - Ants Hill to Great House; the English, Great House to The Grist; and the Flemish, The Laques to Sir John's Hill. On top of the hill - known locally as 'Surgeon's Hill' - is a telecoms mast, which serves Orange, EE and T-mobile. Alas people on Vodaphone and O2 are very lucky to get a signal in Laugharne. From the top you can see from Tenby to The Worm's Head on Gower, and it inspired one of Dylan Thomas' great late poems, 'Over Sir John's Hill.'
'Over Sir John's Hill'
by Dylan Thomas
copyright © 2020 Laugharne Lines
all rights reserved