Today's large modern house, Craig-y-Don, incorporates what was a small pub, the Travellers Rest: last known landlord was David John in 1844. Before the days of rail and car today's Dylan's Walk was a 'main road' for those travelling from and to south-west Wales. Be they soldiers marching from Pembroke to London, pilgrims travelling from Canterbury to St Davids, or more recently young poets visiting for a few days, they would cross the Taf upriver by ferry, or even by foot at low tide, walk or take a pony and trap across the headland opposite to Llansteffan, then cross the Towy river to Ferryside, saving the long journey via Carmarthen. The building hosts a sign warning drivers to turn back. Many ignore it and face a hazardous reverse as the lane dwindles to a narrow footpath near the Boathouse.
copyright © 2020 Laugharne Lines
all rights reserved